A KU grad's journey in the Big Apple.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

sweet 16: sugar cube corsage diy

This summer my beautiful little sister turned into an even more beautiful young lady (tear!) Francesca turned 16!
Chessie at her birthday tea party at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kansas City!

For my 16th birthday my aunt, grandma, mom and sister set up a special day for me. We got all dressed up and had a fabulous time at high tea at the Ritz-Carlton in Palm Beach, Fla. It was a fun outing of first class service, delicious tea sandwiches and girl talk. So of course, I had to keep the tradition going for Chessie.

Mom suggested the Oak Room at the Intercontinental Hotel by the Plaza in Kansas City. They have a few tea options, one of which is a Champagne tea complete with decadent strawberries soaked in some kind of liquor. But since Chessie and her guest of honor are not quite 21 yet, they were served Champagne glasses of Sprite so we could toast the birthday girl!

One of my most favorite memories of my Sweet 16 is the sugar cube corsage my aunt made for me. My great-grandma called her up and told her she had to make one, because that's what they did when she turned 16. A vintage-inspired crafting opportunity? Sign me up!

If I was going to make high tea a Sweet 16 tradition, I absolutely had to include this personal and adorable element for my sister! And luckily, we still had sugar cubes left over from my Sweet 16 (ew.)

Super-easy Sugar Cube Corsage DIY
Chessie's sugar cube corsage!

Materials

Scissors
Curling ribbon in your Sweet 16 sweetie's favorite colors (we used pink and yellow)
16 sugar cubes
Safety pin
hair tie, scrunchie or corsage bracelet










Steps


1. Cut 16 pieces of curling ribbon at varying lengths.
2. Tie a piece of ribbon around each sugar cube and curl both ends of ribbon.
3. Gather one strand of each ribbon-sugar cube combo and attach with a safety pin.
4. Attach the safety pin through a hair tie to go around wrist.
5. Have a happy Sweet 16!


Tips for tying cubes

You can tie the ribbon around the cube two ways. Either tie one knot around the ribbon, then double knot it for a simple look, or tie the ribbon around the cube in one direction, then tie and double knot the ribbon in the opposite direction like you would do with a present. The second look will keep the sugar cubes from falling out while the birthday girl is celebrating her big day.

This craft is seriously so easy! It took me about 15 minutes to make. Some people like to get crazy with their corsages and add Life Savers and other candies or silk flowers. I say do whatever reflects your Sweet Sixteenie best.



Chessie and I being fabulous at the Intercontinental. 
Make a wish! Our server gave Chessie a trick candle that would not stay blown out. Too funny!
Delicious tea sandwiches, scones and tarts! The food was wonderful.

Happy (belated) Sweet 16, Sis! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment