A KU grad's journey in the Big Apple.

Monday, August 20, 2012

rock chalk, forever a jayhawk


 Today is the first day of classes at my alma mater, The University of Kansas.

 First of all, I would like to take a moment to point out this helpful campus pronunciation guide to all new students. You'll thank me when you ask where Budig is.

 It's the first day in four years that classes are starting without me being there. When I was a student, I remember telling grads how lucky they were to be done with school. But they all told me that they really missed it, and some day I would miss it too. Of course, they were right.

 It's nice to not have to buy books, or have test anxiety, or wake up for early morning classes after late-night studying, but I do miss the feeling of walking on the beautiful KU campus, running into friend after friend and saying hello. I miss talking to roommates and professors and sorority sisters.

It's definitely a strange adjustment. I still have quite a few friends in school, and because they are busy starting classes, I feel like I should be doing the same. I have little moments of anxiety because I haven't bought any books yet and I don't know where my classes are. I guess it just comes with the time of year.

 I also have friends who are starting jobs and internships right now. It's weird to think of them surrounded by adults in the workforce. We're still just kids! Remember how last year we all felt so grown up? Today I imagine some of my friends at work, and I feel like they're just kids playing dress up.

This state of limbo I'm in right now is confusing. I don't have a job, and I'm not in school either. Right now, I'm arranging my life so it's move-ready. I've been organizing my things, eliminating things I don't use or need anymore and trying to discover the next step. Until then, I'm just waiting for this new chapter of my life to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment