A KU grad's journey in the Big Apple.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Things I've Learned in NYC so far: two days

I arrived in New York City with my mom and sister around 8:30pm on June 3. Since that day, I have been doing the most amazing things and exploring the city non-stop. Expect a post full of pictures soon! The "vacation" ends Monday, but that's when the real fun begins and I start work! I can't believe it's almost here.

Chessie and I outside Eataly, being goof balls.


Here's a quick list of some of the things I've learned so far in the city.

MoMA > than the Met (but the Met is pretty great too.)
Starry Night is even better in person.
The Guggenheim is closed on Thursdays.
The Path train/Hoboken are both wonderful.
Chelsea is no where near West Village (takes me three trains and a bus to get to work! haha)
Meal plans are fantastic.
It's not always cool and rainy in NYC June.
It's ok to ask people questions (like directions) and most New Yorkers are happy to help.
I forgot how expensive the cost of living in New York is.
I am bad at saving money (already knew.)
Postcards make wonderful decorations.
Hydrangeas don't do well in the heat.
Living without AC is impossible nearly impossible, and fans are wonderful inventions.
Sensible shoes are not an option (in other words, my feet hate me, but they'll just have to get over it.)
What it means when you go Uptown vs Downtown
How to read a subway map and navigate the Subway (thanks mom!)
Easy Mac is a delicious and always affordable meal.
I can't survive without a microwave and/or refrigerator.
Living next to a Loft and Gap is DANGEROUS.
Cart escalators are still awesome.
Shampoo, conditioner and body wash are barely affordable in New York (even at the Brooklyn Target!)
The best things in life are free (Target Free Fridays at the MOMA)
I am without a doubt living here some day.
Eataly is NOT just a big, Italian grocery store.
I am in love with this city. (Already knew that too)
My parents are really nice people and definitely love me.

Unlike the last time I lived in NYC, I didn't take any time at all for me to reconnect with the city. I feel so at home here, and I'm lucky to have good friends be making new friends, which makes the transition much easier. I am so blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment