A KU grad's journey in the Big Apple.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pinching myself on a daily basis.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I asked myself "is this real life?" in the last two days. The MSLO office is a magical place full of crazy, random, beautiful and wonder things like test kitchens, dogs, prop rooms, staff kitchens (aka pantries) stocked with delicious Twinning's tea, wedding dresses, eggs from Martha's farm and some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. It couldn't be more perfect.

On Monday morning I met AJ (bff from high school who has a digital photography internship, I am SO happy we are experiencing this together!) at the Starrett-Lehigh building in Chelsea to start our first day. The day started with meeting the super nice HR people, gift bags filled with sweet Martha swag like a mug and a rain slicker that I'm going to have to incorporate into a Martha Stewart Halloween costume. Then we ate a yummy breakfast of bagels, fruit and yogurt. After a tour of the beautiful office, we took to the even more beautiful rooftop for a pizza party. The building is right on the Hudson, and the weather was perfect, so I got to watch sail boats as I ate some delicious pizza. After lunch I met Senior Editor Kelly, who gave me a much more in depth tour, and then met Deputy Editor Cara who gave me my first project, which was to make up names to be put on place cards in an upcoming issue. They told me to mix and match friends first and last names, so be on the look out for part of you name in MSW!

My second day was even better than the first. I started the day with a project from Assistant Managing Editor Lindsay, whom I sit next to. (On the other side of me is Managing Editor Talley--sitting between these two has been beyond helpful, and fun!) I helped Lindsey fact check the Gown Gallery, which consisted of emailing PR people from dress design companies. Needless to say, it was very exciting seeing names like Oscar De La Renta in my inbox!

The last project I did was write a charming little piece on something that has to do with the groom's attire (don't want to give too much away!) that will appear in Good Things and online.

I also finally got to try Wichcraft (the pressed ham and cheese is to die for) and spend some quality time with Cara. I can tell we are going to get along great and I am going to learn a lot from her!

I can tell this is going to be such an educational experience because I am doing real editorial work with an amazing magazine. Every day is so much fun and I have already learned a ton. I haven't fetched any coffee, or made single copy, although I really wouldn't mind doing any of that because everyone is so welcoming and kind to me. I already feel like a part of the group.

I feel so at home here. My desk is down the hall from the test kitchen, so I get to smell delicious things cooking all day. The building is in such a fantastic location, the Empire State Building in on one side, and the Stature of Liberty is on the other! It's inspiring.

To make the day even more perfect, AJ and I got invited to go to a super exclusive Melissa sample sale with some other Martha staff members. And yes, it was just like Confessions of a Shop-a-holic. This is not real life.

So I've decided I am never leaving. Sorry Kansas!


My bad ass Martha rain slicker!


No comments:

Post a Comment