A KU grad's journey in the Big Apple.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

We we we so excited! (understatement)


Something AMAZING has happened! I have achieved one of my biggest and wildest goals. I have been hired as an editorial intern for MARTHA STEWART WEDDINGS...IN NYC! (scream) Since I found out, my week has been filled with planning, celebrating and pinching myself.

The Spring 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Weddings, which I read cover to cover in preparation for my internship interview. During the interview an editor said, "Just face it, you have a Martha obsession!" How'd she know? ;)

I'll be spending my summer working at one of my favorite publications and helping create the Travel and Winter issues. MSW has a pretty small staff, so I am looking forward to a more individualized experience. The staff I've spoken with so far, Deputy Editor Cara Sullivan, Senior Editor Kelly Lack and Human Resources Associate Generalist Danielle Frizziola, have been extremely nice and helpful. I cannot wait to meet them and the rest of the staff in person. I know I will learn so unbelievably much and make the most amazing memories. It will be the experience of a lifetime!

Luckily, a friend from the J-School and my Jayplay editor will also be in NYC this summer (one interning at Shape and the other taking a publishing course at NYU) so we are all going to live in the NYU apartments, hopefully together.

I will be blogging the experience from today, as I begin preparing and planning, and throughout my internship and time in my beloved city. My internship starts on June 13, and I will be moving into NYU the week of June 5. My last day at MSW is August 5 and I'll probably be leaving on the 6th. Then back to reality! KU classes start on August 22.

Getting through the last four weeks of classes will be difficult. All I can thinks about is New York and my internship. I need to start putting together my professional wardrobe and making a list of everything I want to do. I'll also be studying the magazine, of course! My supervisor at Corbin has an entire folder of MSW clips she's saved, so I'll be reading those so I can go into my internship well prepared!

A welcome packet is on it's way, and I cannot wait until it gets here so I can start learning about what is in store for me this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment